Friday, July 8, 2011

The Art of Resisting Gravity

Other than possessing the actual ability to physically fly or float, it is no secret on how to create zero-gravity images. The two techniques that I am aware of and have used in my photography to create interesting or appealing images are either: the levitating trick or just plain jumping! 


The Magic of Levitating

I am not special or physically fit to be able to jump into nifty positions in order to appear like I am floating.  I also hate to heavily photoshop an image because: 
A:  it looks tacky
B: I don't believe in hard core editing being called a work of photography...they are just plain image manipulations.

In order to achieve the image I see in my mind and to not spend hours upon hours "manipulating" a photograph, I use the levitating trick.  Simply put, I lay or position myself on a small, stable, easy to edit object (chair, ottoman, table, box, ect.) and take a self portrait.  The key to making this trick work flawlessly (and with as little editing as possible) is to not move the camera, to shoot in a manual mode as to not change the camera settings and to work quickly if you have changing natural light.

After I shoot the SP, I then take a picture of the background behind me, sans myself and the object.  When I edit, I simply combine the two images into one window in PS with separate layers.  I keep the image of myself on the top layer and add a mask. Then I use my paintbrush to "erase" the object supporting me...and suddenly, I look as if I'm floating!
Depending on the complexity of the background or lighting, I may have to add on to a shadow, as pictured above. Or I may have to make sure the edges on a body part are clean and realistic...no fuzzy edges or it will look fake, as pictured in the two images below.


The Art of Jumping (and not looking stupid)

Jumping may seem like an easy way to get the "Look Ma! I can fly!" apperance, however when it comes to self portrait shooting, do not be fooled by the power of a fast camera (10 seconds can fly by!), way-off timing and out of shape leg muscles. If you do not have every thing timed and are ready for the camera, a mid air jump will be 2 inches from the ground with a disgruntled look on your face from forcing your body to jump into the air. 

The key is a fast shutter speed to freeze you in mid-jump, a remote is really helpful in order to have time to be in place for the jump, and takes lots and lots of shots! Once you get the timing down on a self timer or you can use the remote to take the picture once you are in the air, you may review your images and think, "I look goofy!".  It will happen, trust me.  You do not realize the facial expressions you get when you concentrate on jumping at the right time and trying to jump high!

It took me dozens and dozens of captures to get this image to come out the way I wanted, and yet I think my face still looks awkward. Needless to say, my legs were sore after catapulting myself off of a park bench for this shot.
Although the images may look like jumping shots (well, duh...they are!), I think they still add an interesting element in photos and create movement in an obvious still image.
Anytime that I get to clone and make one image turn into a better image, I go for it!


 
The Perfect Jump Shot? A real person!
As much as I like to keep my self portraits...well you know, a "true" self portrait....sometimes a little help on the other side of the camera taking the image at the right time, is always a good thing!
Photo taken by my awesome sister, Susan Austgen 
Photo taken by my amazing boyfriend and talented fellow photographer, Eric Hurst


~Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment