Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Telling a story with pictures

When I was young, pictures had a big impact on my little imagination.  Even when I could read, I would rather look at the pictures to form the story, as opposed to reading the content.  I am a very visual person, so it comes naturally for my eyes to process pictures like it is a second language.  This skill has developed into a positive aspect when it comes to creating my own picture "stories".  It is no lie when they say a picture is worth a thousand words, as cliche as it may sound.  Think about it....flip open any magazine or book and locate a picture.  Without looking at text or captions, focus on the picture and start to ask questions: what is happening in the picture? What happened before the picture was taken? If people are involved, who are they and what are they doing?  A  photojournalistic approach to taking images will capture more than just a picture.  It will capture emotion, information, excitement, and of course, a story.

 Sometimes, the most simple image can tell a more complex story, depending on how you look at it and the subject involved.
  

Photojournalistic images capture news or events, but they also capture mood and emotion.


Although it is hard for a camera to capture the actual size and vastness of a storm or the feeling of weather, a good image will paint a decent story for the viewer.

Conceptual story telling images are my favorite kind of pictures to create. 



~Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment