Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Artistic Spark to photographing the everyday, ordinary world


The world is full of interesting subjects and amazing photo opportunities.  Photographing moving subjects and certain events that you have no control over, prove to be a fun challenge with a hint of the old "right place, at the right time" luck.  Understanding your camera settings and having them ready for the particular situation which you intend to snap pictures in, will give you an advantage in capturing the awesome moments in life.




The Artistic Angle

I love taking more of the candid type of images, with an element of artistic thrown in.  For me this means a different perspective, making the subject pop with shallow depth of field (DOF), or later in editing by making the image black and white or altering the color a bit.

Usually if time is on my side, I search for these artistic images.  Sometimes I have to be patient and trust me, I have missed out on countless amazing photos because I was not fast enough.  Sometimes it is necessary to have the camera glued to your face, because 9 times out of 10 the moment you lower the camera, the moment happened and is gone.


Not ALL images will be artistic, but they will at least tell a story

Creating an element of storytelling is sometimes hard for me to do, as well as capturing the photojournalistic images at the moment it happens.  This usually happens because I am there myself in that point in time and since I am experiencing that moment, why bother to snap a picture? 

I have learned that: A: memory fades and you never remember a moment the way it happened in the same way that a picture represents the past. B: other than the people around you at the time, no one else was there to experience the moment. Pictures are a way to share knowledge and experiences. 

In my ever-growing photography adventures, I have learned to snap away, regardless of how lacking they are in eye-catching wonder.  When I look back at some of the images I have taken, not seeing any real artistic merit, I am glad I did for the storytelling aspect.


No comments:

Post a Comment